Monday, May 9, 2011

Parent's Bathroom

Living with my parents has been such a joy.  One of the things that Toby and I like is that we get to "pay" rent in creative ways.  They don't ask us to pay rent but we feel like we should contribute somehow.  So we get creative.  So through the years of living with them we have gotten them: a stove, a dishwasher, a vacuum and the newest one was remodeling their bathroom.  My parents wanted to pay Toby to do their bathroom but Toby thought it would be better if he just did if for our rent.  He wanted enough time to get it done fast so they aren't out a bathroom for to long.  So Toby decided that over Mother's Day weekend we were going to get it all done while my parents were in California for my uncle's wedding.  They had no idea.
 So here is a before picture.
 If you look at the top left part of the bath tub you can see part of it is peeling off.  It was much worse a while ago.  This is one of the reasons why my parents wanted to get the bathroom done.  So my dad was just going to get that piece bent back.  Toby thought that tiling it would look way better.  My dad was a little hesitant.
 So we decided that we were going to make the executive decision to tile it.
 Toby had to work a bunch so there was a lot of late nights and me making decisions by myself.  If you know me that is not something that I am good at. I don't like making decisions. SCARY!  Thanks Estelle for going shopping with me and helping me pick out the tile.  I love how it turned out.
 Toby and I really enjoyed working together on this project.
 We had a lot of fun together.
 
Here is a final product.
 So we painted, tiled the floor and the tub and we put up new base board.  We also put up new light fixtures and new towel racks and toilet paper holder.
 I know that this is a lame picture but here is what happened.  I kept close contact with my mom to make sure I knew when they were going to be home.  They left for their trip on Thursday in the late afternoon and came home Sunday night.  So Toby and I were seriously tight on time.  He was putting up the toilet paper holder when they pulled up.  When he was done he ran out to meet my dad.  He said, "Hey so I got that piece of the tub fixed but I just need a little help, do you think you could come help me for just a second?"  I was sitting on the toilet waiting for them to come and see.  I didn't get a good picture of my dad because we had the door open and so he could see from the bedroom.
 But we shut the door for my mom.
She was really happy.  I think she cried a little.  It was a lot of work but it was totally worth it.  Toby and I enjoyed working together.  The hardest part was deciding what they would want.  We didn't know if we should get things that would look really nice or things that were cheap.  In the end they were really happy with everything we did.  So this was our last rent we payed them and I think it was a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment